[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Japanese PC Game in CoCo Style?

James Tamer emucompboy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 13:55:38 EDT 2008

> Sorry, it was boxed but didn't have a manual and nobody has put a
> scanned one online yet.  At least not that I have found.

Yeah, mine was boxed too but didn't come with manuals -- I bought
those later on EBay.  Near as I can figure, originally the computer
came with two manuals.  One was the NEC Trek book, and the other was
the big purple-blue BASIC reference.
If you know of a site that has downloadable homebrew software for the
PC-6001 / PAPICOM, please send me a link off-group, thanks.  I'm
flummoxed by the thicket of Japanese I get when I try to look for
it, ... not to mention finding sites for the successor computers.

> Yeah, I figured that was the case.  To do everything they were
trying
> without impacting the CPU would have required doubling the memory
> speed and alternating cycles between the GFX hardware and CPU.  Even
> if RAM fast enough to do that had been available I'm not sure the
CPU
> or GFX hardware could have handled it.  It might be an interesting
> project for an FPGA implementation though.

Yup, I think using a RAM attribute array for the 6847 was unique to
the PC-6000 family!  Mighty strange, that.