[Coco] 2gig CF card killed

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Mar 22 16:17:15 EDT 2008

At 09:39 AM 3/22/2008, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor wrote:
> > Well, I think I've successfully killed a nice Lexar 2gig CF card after
> > many attempts of installing Windows 98SE on it to run on my Compaq
> > IA-1 internet appliance.
> >
> > I did so many installs and formats, that I think I reached the
> > ~300,000 erase/write limit of the card.
> >
>My understanding was that the write limitation is per-memory location,
>or per-cell, not for the entire card.  I also have this vagu

So this would mean, byte #1002 (or the sector or granule it's in)
would have it's own life cycle compared to the other sectors or
granules?  I suppose this is not THAT different from the life of a
hard drive and having the ability to mask out the bad sectors.  But
300,000 writes seems like just a few weeks or months of time on a
busy system using a swap file.  Without a swap file, what.. a year or
two?  Nobody really knows.