[Coco] 2gig CF card killed

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 01:33:28 EDT 2008

Roger,

I've been testing flash devices as hard drives at work for performance
related metrics.  On a sort of related note, many apps actually run slower
on flash drives.  They tend to write frequent, small changes to the drive in
order to save data.  This has the two unexpected affects on flash devices.
First, since they have to perform a block read before writing any data, they
don't get the speed increase solid state would seemingly provide.  Second,
any app which uses a swap file (including the OS) can very quickly burn out
a flash device.

(Vista ReadyBoost actually accounts for this and limits writes.  A typical
swap file from Windows/Linux/Unix would not.)

Does OS-9 use a swap file?  If do, is there any way to limit it writing to
the drive?  And if it doesn't use a swap file, then I feel pretty
comfortable saying the flash device would outlast the Coco itself.

John Guin