[Coco] [coco] creating boot disks

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Mar 15 22:14:06 EDT 2008

George Ramsower wrote:
> When I make a mistake while creating a boot disk, "they" say that the
> disk needs to be clean of files to create a bootfile.
>
> If, when it doesn't work, do I have to reformat or can I just delete
> the mistake?

As I understand it, the only issue is that the bootfile can't be
fragmented, and has to reside at the correct location at the start of
the disk.  So if you delete the old bootfile and you don't make it any
bigger, then a new one should probably go right where the old one was.
But if the file size grows, it won't have room, and will become
fragmented.  You could try making a boot file on a blank disk, then
copying some filler files immediately after it, before copying the CMDS
directory, etc.  Then if you need to make the boot file bigger, you can
delete the next filler file to free up some contiguous space.  I haven't
tested this myself, but is sounds like a plausible idea.

JCE