[Coco] Server upgrade

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 8 14:36:20 EST 2008

On Saturday 08 March 2008, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Some of you may have noticed a maltedmedia coco list glitch for a few
>hours on February 29. Our server's hard drive failed. We were restored
>from backup (those folks at Pair Networks http://pair.com/ are fast &
>fantastic  - they're the folks to use if you need a web host). In order
>to get everything working well, we upgraded the chassis (in service
>since 2001), drive, and RAM (to 2G) and will put in place a shadow drive
>shortly to reduce restore time (replacing the OS and automated
>restoration of 40GB from network backup took nine hours on February 29).
>
>The expense for maltedmedia and all the domains (including kalvos.org,
>composers21.com, voxnovus.com, vtnursenet.org, nonpopradio.com, and 32
>other domains) is borne pretty much by me personally, with occasional
>contributions, most of which used to come from our radio show that went
>off the air in 2005.
>
>The cost for all the current upgrades is about $650. I am asking
>everyones who uses the servers to contribute a very small amount. If
>every regular user from all the domains contributed just $1 once a year,
>it would cover these costs and even leave some for the monthly server
>rental charge.
>
>The last time I asked for assistance on the coco list was in May 2004
>when the hard drive ran out of space, so it's not a frequent request!
>It's been reliable for all of you (with more than 35,000 messages
>exchanged since we stepped in for the lost Princeton service), and I
>hope you've been satisfied with it.
>
>PayPal to bathory at maltedmedia.com or kalvos at kalvos.org would be most
>welcome.

Perhaps you should setup a donate page.  But a buck seems like kind of a puny
amount to me Dennis, and would be a PITA for paypal to process, so I'd
suggest a tenner & put any surplus in an account for the next hardware
failure.  I can certainly do that if the page is setup to accept the card
nums directly.

If the page setup is too costly, then I could have the bank send you a check,
but for that I'd need a full PO address and valid phone number as the bank
requires that so they can call and straighten things out if the mailed check
comes back NSA or whatever.  Private mail if you'd like but I suspect there
are more here than just me who feel that you are doing a valuable service for
us and we'ed like to say thanks.

>Thanks,
>Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
>(Coco list owner/admin)