[Coco] Japanese PC Game in CoCo Style?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Mar 1 18:05:03 EST 2008

Torsten,

I am not sure it is - it looks like it could really be an actual CoCo
game (but it certainly isn't one I recognize). The download, though,
does appear to be a PC/DOS executable in the zipfile. I wonder if it is
a real CoCo game, but written for the CoCo 3, using CoCo 2 screen modes
for less CPU load (so more could be dedicated to sound)? Maybe even
written post-1992?

I can't imagine why someone would create a game for the PC, and
old-school it down to CoCo colors/res? I can only think of one other
possibility:

Maybe it is a CGA-only game? AFAIR, though - CGA didn't have a
red/green/blue/yellow palette set. I don't even remember a hack to
enable such a thing. I suppose it could've been done in an EGA mode of
some sort. At any rate, the sound probably come from speaker twiddling
(though it seemed like cleaner sound than that - like a DAC tied to the
parallel port).

I would love to know what the truth/reality of this game is - it looks
like something on the edge of what a CoCo could do, given the right
programming.

-- Andrew

---