[Coco] Glenside CoCo~123 Newsletter

Clubbbs at aol.com Clubbbs at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 16:50:28 EDT 2008

The  Glenside Color Computer Club is the last club in the United States that
still  supports the Tandy Color Computer. As our own numbers dwindled, we
realized that  we would have to modify our mission if we were to help maintain
interest in the  Color Computer both locally and around the world. We decided to
be the one club  that would serve all the users of the Color Computer that had
become orphans do  to the dissolving of their local user groups.
We began  by adding to our membership anyone that came to our sixteen
CoCoFEST!s, whether  they became a financially contributing member or not. Those that
contributed  helped defray the cost of services we also provided to those
that didn’t  contribute. Communication was deemed to be the best way to stay
connected,  disseminate the news of what is happening in the CoCo Community and
help those  having difficulty with their hobby.
When the  OS-9 group dissolved, Glenside vowed to support those orphaned
users by adding  their names to our membership. Later, when a special interest
group within our  club designed and sold the Glenside IDE Interface at a cost of
just cost and  shipping, we added their names to our database vowing to send
them newsletters  as long as Glenside stayed alive. When our member Dave Keil
created and sold his  CoCo emulator, we again stepped forward to support his
customers. Bottom line –  we called them members of Glenside just to keep them
informed and provide the  community with one show each year where users could
come to see the latest in  technology developed for their Color Computers.
Again,  we never insisted these folks pay for the newsletters we provide.
However, some  of these folks sent in contributions from time to time to defray
costs Glenside  has for these mailings and the rising cost of our yearly show.
Just this last month we  provided the newsletter in PDF format to all our
members so that they  could enjoy a better looking newsletter in color than the
one we normally mail  in B/W. Of our present 144 members, 35 were able to
download the PDF attachment  and enjoy the color printout. This did save us 35
stamps and a reduction of  printed documents – folding – envelopes – labels –
work – time.
If you  are offended by what we are trying to do for the CoCo community,
please send an  email to me, Bob Swoger, at  _rswoger at aol.com_
(mailto:rswoger at aol.com)   and we will remove you from the our  list. If, on the other hand, you
believe in what Glenside is doing for the  community, send an email and we
will add you to the list.
Just as  Dennis has provided this forum for CoCo users, we also wish to serve
the CoCo  community as best we can.
Bob  Swoger, Secretary

Home.