[Coco] The CoCo to VGA adapter

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 18:09:53 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/26/2008 5:34:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
underserf at comcast.net writes:

Ordered  my R. Justus video adapter like Monday the 21st, it was
shipped out &  I received it on the 25th.

Wow.

EBay vendors could learn a thing  or three from Mr Justus ;)

I am glad you like it.    Thanks for the positive  feedback  :)

There is one minor detail you should know about the converter.
Well it is really about the coco3.   The coco3 generates  the
three primary colors slightly out of sync with each other and
the pixel clock.   Green is in sync with the pixel clock  but
red is slightly out of sync and blue is WAY out of sync.

What all of this means is that text looks good with
black on a pure green backround.   Text looks ok with a  black
on a pure red backround but text looks terrible with a black
on pure blue backround.   The reason this doesn't show up
with say a CM8 monitor is that the bandwidth is so much
smaller with the old monitors that they "soak up" this
distortion but the bandwidth of my converter on an SVGA
monitor is greater and shows the original signal warts and all.

The converter uses special input filters to correct this to some
extent but it cannot eliminate it completely.   The bottom line  is
to  avoid pure blue and pure red in text screens.

Oddly enough blue with just a little green or red looks perfectly
okay.  Same for red with a little green or blue mixed in and all
other color combinations look okay too.   Go figure.......

Roy

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.