[Coco] Geranium Diode Upgrade

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 10 23:45:15 EDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 14:03 -0700, Mike 0rtloff wrote:
>> The ACIAPAK driver requires this interrupt signal
>> to operate properly, although the MODPAK driver
>> does not. The signal in the CoC03 is routed
>> througi1 the GIME chip, which every so often does
>> not pass it to the CPU.
>
>Am I reading this right when I infer that the GIME has some sort of bug
>w/r/t its interrupt 'controller'?  That would be a rather nasty flaw ..

That actually turned out to be a miss read of the gime specs as they weren't
very clear, and the gime wasn't always being re-initialized correctly after an
IRQ was serviced.  The fix was incorporated in all the edition 9 clock modules,
and has never been a problem since.  The only other thing that is related to
the ACIA and IRQ's in general is that the slot selector logic in the MPI's will
block an IRQ from an unselected slot until such time as that slot becomes
selected, which if the IRQ doesn't get through, might be never.

The fix for that is to jumper all 4 slots together at pin 8, and remove 3 of the
4 IRQ pullup resistors along the front edge of the MPI's PCB.  *S9 can handle
the rest, and other than those who might keep games multiple game carts in the
MPI, I can't think of a scenario where that would effect an rsdos program.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)