[Coco] Geranium Diode Upgrade

Mike 0rtloff underserf at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 17:03:16 EDT 2008

Earlier today I had noticed

Dennis Báthory-Kitsz =is= maltedmedia... I
promptly dove into my ancient, dusty boxes
searching for the magazines he once published.
Didn't find 'em (they're there, somewhere) but I
stumbled across the following document, from a kit I purchased in '91...

--- begin author unknown

INTERRUPT MODIFICATION INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

The purpose of this modification is to correct a
problem with the flow of the cartridge interrupt
to the CPU in a Color Computer 3. The cartridge
interrupt is used primarily in OS/9 with the
RS232 Pak to inform the CPU when a character has been received.

The ACIAPAK driver requires this interrupt signal
to operate properly, although the MODPAK driver
does not. The signal in the CoC03 is routed
througi1 the GIME chip, which every so often does
not pass it to the CPU. When this occurs, the
ACIAPAK driver (and thus the /T2 or similar port)
locks up. Terminal programs and other software
utilizing an ACIAPAK type port show a tendency to
lock up because of this problem. The modification
consists of a jumper with a diode wired into it,
which connects the cartridge interrupt directly
to the CPU, bypassing the GIME. The diode keeps
interrupt signals from going backwards.

[and as anyone can tell you, the forward voltage
drop of a germanium diode is lower than a similar
silicon diode, so more of the signal gets
through, something must have been out of spec for it to matter]

Note that this modification only affects the
CoCo3 motherboard and that if a Multi-Pak
Interface is being used that it can also cause
the same problem. The cartridge interrupt is
routed through the Multi-Pak controller chip,
which also may loose interrupt signals
occasionally. If this is the case, simply wiring
pin 8 ( CART) from the slot for the RS232 pak to
pin 8 of the card edge will solve it. No traces
need be cut and any number or all of the slots can be wired together.

INSTALLATION

Open the case by removing the screws in the
bottom, exposing the motherboard. Locate resistor
R7, which is right next to the metal grounding
tab for the keyboard on the left side. Clip
the  BLACK lead onto the right side of R7
(closest to the big 6821 chip). Next, locate R2,
which is directly behind the reset button. Clip
the RED lead onto the side of R2 away from the
reset button. The unit is now installed, and the
only difference that should be noticed is
elimination of the ACIA lock-up syndrome.

----- end document

[there's an ASCII graphic at the bottom of this
document, but experience with ASCII is it only looks good on paper ;)]

As the engineers & software authors in here can
tell ya, the ACIA driver was modified sometime in
the early 90s and only a stone-stock OS/9 L2 (like mine ;) would have a problem

=M0=