[Coco] two other things..

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Wed Jul 9 16:10:25 EDT 2008

I'm not a uIP fan because of its rather unusual interface (the
application is responsible for buffering data in case of retransmission,
it's state-driven, etc.). It's meant for _very_ small uC environments,
and a Coco 3 w/ OS-9 and 512K of RAM doesn't really qualify.  I'd be
much more comfortable with something more like the traditional socket
interface, in the form of a file manager.  Don't sell the Coco short!

As for hardware, SiLabs makes a chip called the CP2200 which is an
integrated 10baseT MAC/PHY.  Interestingly, it probably will require
very little in the way of bus interfacing to the Coco.  Its only
drawback is that it has odd requirements on the magnetics, 1:2.5 turns
ratio on the transmit lines -- but that's just a minor annoyance rather
than a serious problem.  I've got three of the chips and three
compatible jacks handy, so I'll give it a whirl.

C.