[Coco] iMac/CoCo emulator users here?

Tue Jul 8 00:37:59 EDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:
> I obtained a very nice G3 266mhz iMac at a garage sale for $20 the
> other day.  I can't find or access any updating sites yet.  The IE
> update site acts like it doesn't recognize that I'm visiting from an
> iMac, and the FireFox site won't come up right, and the Safari site
> won't come up at all from either Netscape or IE.
>
> I want to bring the iMac up to date somehow and use it with my CoCo
> projects... will M.E.S.S. run on the iMac, any other CoCo emulators?

This is a Mac circa 1999, so she's nine plus years old.  I believe the
last version of the Mac OS X operating system that was officially
compatible was 10.3 (Panther)--that's two revisions out-of-date from
today.  I think you will run into some difficulties finding software
that will work on these older OS revisions now.

http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_G3#Apple_iMac_G3_.28266_MHz.29_5_Colors

Some applications have features that only work in 10.5, the latest
version of Mac OS X, although most still work in 10.4.  The other
problem is these applications have been compiled and linked, and are
thus dependent on the later version of several core OS frameworks
(libraries).  Again, this means they will not work in 10.3.  So unlike
PC users content with Windows XP over Vista, I think you'll find most
Mac users try to keep their OS up-to-date so they can keep running the
latest software!

The last version of IE for the Mac was 5.23.  I have a copy I can e-
mail you if need be, Roger--it's a 6.7MB file.  Firefox 3 supposedly
won't run on your older Mac as it requires version 10.4 of the OS.
You could try Firefox 2.  Worst case scenario is it'll crash on
startup if it is incompatible with your version of Mac OS X:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0.0.15&os=osx&lang=en-US

-- JP