[Coco] Duplicating Copy-Protected Games (Z-89) (Was: CocoDigest Vol 55, Issue 22) (Steve Bjork) (cdiman7)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 20:46:49 EST 2008

Karl,

I am not confused regarding copyrights vs. patents - both are supposed
to be limited in time, patents expiring shorter (IIRC, the maximum
length of time an inventor can keep a patent going via filing and
renewals is something like 28 years).

Copyrights were originally something like the lifetime of the owner plus
30 years (I may be wrong here). This got expanded to lifetime + 70
years, and I think recently it was bumped up (or attempted to be bumped
up) to lifetime+120 years.

Like I said - during one of these copyright "reform" periods (might have
been the Sonny Bono extension), one of the people involved made mention
that in his opinion a "limited time" (as per the Constitution) meant
"lifetime of the universe/world, minus one day". That is the attitude we
are dealing with.

Under such a scheme (and arguably even now, since every time Disney sees
that Steamboat Willy Micky Mouse comes up for PD, they lobby to get the
copyright extended and retroactive!) nothing would ever reach the public
domain.

This does nothing to "advance and promote the arts", as mandated by the
Constitution.

It is pure greed, nothing more.

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale, Arizona