[Coco] leading to that CNC Coco machine (George Ramsower)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 23:01:43 EST 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008, George Ramsower wrote:
>Gene Heskett said:
>> I think George is doing some pretty amazing things too.  And his shop is
>> probably 20F warmer about now. :)
>
> Probably more than that. I was outside today getting propane and wearing
>shorts and a T-Shirt. A little vitamin D was in the mix also.
> The high was about 68 at my place. A little over 70 in San Antonio.
>
> EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT, SNOWBIRDS!!!

We got around 2" of rain yesterday, with temps in the 50's, eat your heart out
all you desert dwellers that can't water your lawns!

>Andrew L. Ayers said:
>>>I am glad to see the progress you are making - and I love the CoCo 3
>>>re-pack! I am not sure how you got everything in there (that would be a
>>>great thing to see in itself), but it is amazing you did!
>>
>> yeah, we need some pix of that repack, with the covers off. :)
>
> Okay... I'll try and find time tomorrow to take it down and open it up to
>create some images.
> That repack is not that big of a deal. It took a helluva lot less time than
>I have in the mill. Even the wirewrapping of the I/O board and all the stuff
>that went into that modem cabinet.
>
>  I garonteeya!
>
> Both the top and the bottom are not actually covers only. Stuff is mounted
>to both. It's the only way I could get it all in there. I think there's
>still room for some more things in there, such as sugar ants and roaches.

Your country has scorpions too don't forget.  We offset that with copperheads
though..

> The cabinet is actually upside down. I dinged out mounting everything and
>then discovered that the feet are supposed to go on TOP.. or where they
>would go.
>
> DOH!
>
> So this is why in the photo, you see the RGB connector just off the shelf.
>NO FEET! So I need to fix that. Meanwhile, it works.
>
> The switching supply wasn't loaded enough to keep it's voltages correct, so
>I added a small incandescent light bulb inside the cabintet on the 12 volt
>line to keep it in check.

Humm, they regulate off the 5 volt line, so I'm a bit surprised a load on the
12 volt line stabilizes it.

> I had that modem in storage for several years before this happened. I liked
>that cabinet so I held on to it. The actual CKT board that was in it, I
>still have and plan to use the chip someday to attempt to communicate with
>the old TRS80 Coco, Whole House Controller. The chip is a programmable FSK
>modem thingy.
> It's a "World Chip" AM7910DC mfg 1984. Can do FSK from ... if I remember
>correctly... 110 baud to 1200 baud.
> I did finally get a new X-10 controller that uses a standard RS232
>interface, but I haven't taken the time to make it work on a coco. This mill
>is more important to me, right now. I use the controller on this PC for now.
>Once I get the mill going, I may find time to work on the X10 project and
>then I can get another controller and then things will start happening...
>like speed control for the dremmel on the mill?
> Right now, I'm thinking that eventually the dremmel will only be a motor.
>With gear reduction, I can get more torque to the mill and the tool speeds
>will be more inline for this project, even when I convert to a PC based
>control for the machine.
>
> So much to do.... so little time.

Boy Howdy am I ever aware of that, at 73 & counting.  I'll never get 10% of he
stuff I want to do, done.  So each project I do get done, I have to keep from
breaking my arm trying to pat myself on the back.  Enjoy it while we can. :-)

OTOH, I know I am not the oldest member of this group either.