[Coco] Impossibly-fast CoCo 3 sprites :)

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Feb 4 19:19:06 EST 2008

Another milestone was reached this evening when I finished the
routines that take bitmapped sprite/mask tables and convert them into
6809 opcodes, at run-time.

What does this mean?  It means I'm now watching 64 (16wx15h) 16-color
various shaped sprites zip around the screen retaining the background
they pass over, only this time it's at least 8x the framerate of the
previous optimized version that reads from the tables, masks, or's
and rewrites the screen.   All of that is now eliminated and the
sprite routines themselves are self-contained, needing no external
sprite data, masks, previous screen data.  Transparent parts of the
sprite aren't even looked at.  Both 1- and 2-byte writes are handled
automatically, saving CPU cycles whereever possible.

Talk about fast!