[Coco] torn on getting a coco...

Michael Robinson deemcr at robinson-west.com
Sat Dec 13 18:46:09 EST 2008

Michael,

1- CoCo3 Refurb 128k Grade A $ 50
1- 512k Memory Upgrade $ 40
1- Install and test 512k upgrade $10
-----------------------------
sub $100
s/h $ 20 UPS Ground lower 48
-------------------
Total $120 USD

Quote good until 12/19/2008 or out of stock whichever is sooner.

Send payment to mark at cloud9tech.com at www.paypal.com

Thanks,

Mark

I am looking into ordering a grade A COCO 3 and I may want the memory
upgrade.

So the memory at $40 and a coco 3 at $50 plus shipping, what would that
be total?

It's not the $2k that my coco cost without a 512k upgrade, but it
is still a lot.  Plus, this is without a joystick, something
cloud9 doesn't sell.  Couldn't I get my nephew a Pentium 4 and
install Linux to it for this kind of money?  All he has is a
tape drive and my mult pak interface that works with his coco
2.  It is legal to reverse engineer unsupported hardware, why
doesn't cloud 9 do that?  I don't like the part about buying
a used computer, but I can see why that is.  Radio shack doesn't
make coco's anymore sadly enough.

It started out as maybe $50 for a coco and that possibly being okay...
Well, I figured it should get a memory upgrade.

Here are the downsides I see to getting my nephew a Coco 3:
1) No C programming.
2) He doesn't seem to have any Coco 3 games let alone 512k coco3 games.
3) No joystick and no way to get one.
4) I have Diecom Product's Gantlet II, but it doesn't work with
   drivewire and it definitely won't run off a tape drive.
5) I could see about an SVD disk drive, but they are limited and
   they cost $110.  This virtual disk drive may not support Gauntlet II.
6) I don't have any functional disk drives.