[Coco] Setting up a BBS

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 13:10:50 EDT 2008

> If your old drives were good when you put them into storage, about the only
> thing that could cause drive failure now is dried up lubricant. Wipe down
> the rails with light oil and inspect other moving parts.
>
> You can use 3.5" drives with a Coco without any changes. Typically that will
> make a 3.5" drive #2 in 0-3 unless you modify the ribbon cable or are lucky
> enough to have dip switches in the drives.
>
> If you are concerned about file names, why not change them? There does not
> seem to be any reason why a file name on a Coco should have a leading space.
> In any case, if you do use Ultimaterm to make the transfers, you can always
> rename the files back to the original once on the Coco system.

The drives were good, but we've moved since putting them in storage,
so it's hard to say how badly they've been mishandled. I'll try some
lubrication when I get a moment...

The leading spaces seem to be there in the original disk image, so I'm
betting CoBBS expects the space to be there. Ultimaterm seems to be
able to save them with the leading space, so that's not an issue...
Except Ultimaterm seems to have died overnight, and I can't get it to
load now (?FS error... ARGH!!!), so I'm digging out a 3.5" drive to
hook up to the CoCo. I've probably got a couple dozen 3.5" drives, so
maybe I'll get lucky and find one with jumpers or dip switches...

Rod