[Coco] RiBBS, 68K OS-9 in emulation

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Aug 18 23:47:39 EDT 2008

Ron Bihler wrote:

> I may have missed a word or two (Grin).  Even more to the problem is I
> have been out of this soo long that much of the terminology is greek
> to me :) (ARANYM) (Debian-m68K) etc
Yeah, and those references really aren't directly CoCo-related anyway.
ARANYM is an Atari emulator.  Atari Running on ANY Machine.  Debian-m68K
is a port of the Debian operating system (an OS built around the Linux
kernel) to the Motorola 68K (68000) series processors.  The MM/1, the
MM/1b, and the Frank Hogg Labs TC-70 all sported processors based on the
Motorola 68000, as did the Atari ST series of computers, the Amiga line
and the Macintoshes of the time.  And nearly everybody else that wasn't
a PC clone.  Linux for the 68000-series processors will only run on a
68020 with PMMU and FPU, a 68030 with FPU, or a full 68040 or 68060
processor.

So the ARANYM emulator emulates an Atari-like computer with
68020+MMU+FPU, can boot Linux, and in fact is used to build Debian packages.

The CoCo has a 6809 processor, or a retrofit 6309 and runs the 6809
version of OS-9.  The MM/1 has a processor based on the 68000 (not
capable of running Linux (except potentially uCLinux)) and runs the
68000 version of OS-9, AKA OS-9/68K.

The only reason I brought up ARANYM and Debian is that ARANYM seems like
something that's already tantalyzingly close to being capable of running
OS-9/68K.  Maybe it even can with a little tweaking!
> I had left before Nitros9 was out (Very nice I must say) and some of
> the other hardware bling bling.  I haven't figured out how to boot
> directly to Nitros9 HD yet thought in VCC.  More reading in order!!!
>
> Anyway after a weekend of digging into Coco History and some of the
> other machine - history - Plus a bunch of good emails I am starting to
> get back up to speed. I see I have more work ahead of me.

I never get tired of the CoCo.  Have fun!

JCE