[Coco] More on Hot Coco scans

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Aug 15 15:20:27 EDT 2008

The IDG law office ("Miriam") didn't address the list directly, that was something Mike Harwood (excuse me if the name is wrong!) posted that was sent to him. There's not enough money in it for IDG to scan and sell the magazines, they are not going to help anyone. They're in business to make money, not to help!

If you want to scan and share the magazines that's the only thing you can do. IDG isn't likely to waste time on a bunch of people sharing copies of old magazines. If they find them up on a web site they will most likely issue a "cease and desist" request, and may take legal action if it isn't complied with. They will only do that if and when it comes to their attention. They aren't scanning sites looking for offenders.

If you want to share scanned copies do so, no harm will be done to IDG or anyone else. Be careful about posting them then widely advertising the site. Letting people know on here should be fine, but the more widely advertised the more likely it would be noticed and you'd be "asked" to take it down.

This happens all the time, in sometimes absurd situations. Like when Chrysler first sold out to Daimler-Benz. They had lawyers go after any and everyone using any trade marks for any reason, even clubs. That promotes more bad will than they realize, and a lot of people who were burned or know someone who was won't look at a Chrysler product and encourage others not to. The same just before VW came out with the new "bug". They trademarked "Bug" as a name for their cars then went after many businesses that had been using names such as "The Bug House" for many years -- well over 10-15 -- well before they trademarked the name. Business sometimes spites itself! IDG, in it's worry about possible (but very unlikely) lawsuits, puts people off that might consider going out of their way to buy other IDG products just because they were known to have helped the CoCo community in some small way. My guess is they will turn a blind eye to anything other than blatant sales of their former products, as if anyone does try to sue them they can claim to have not given permission and send the suer someone else's way.

------------
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:28:23 -0700
From: "Ron VanScherpe" <rvanscherpe at gmail.com>

Miriam,

is there anyway that you maybe able to help our community out by finding out
how these fantastic pieces of work can be archived and reproduced.  I'm sure
that there are many of us willing to pay for these works, however, time is
flying by and I know that the magazines I have are fading and turning
yellow.  We love these magazines and we would like to keep them alive.
Please help us.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"