[Coco] again 3.5" drive

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 13:44:20 EDT 2008

The CoCo floppy controller and floppy drives
 use pins 10 thru 16 for these signals (odd numbered
lines are grounded):
10 - Drive Select 0
12 - Drive Select 1
14 - Drive Select 2
16 - Motor On

Each drive is jumpered as 0,1 or 2.
Line 16 turns on motors of all drives.

PC controllers are different:
10 - Drive 0 Motor On
12 - Drive Select 1
14 - Drive Select 0
16 - Drive 1 Motor On

ALL drives (all two of 'em) are jumpered as Drive 1.
Cable lines 10 thru 16 are twisted for Drive 0
(remember it is jumpered as Drive 1).  Since these
lines have been reversed, the drive still gets
Drive Select on line 12 and Motor On on line 16.

If you use a PC cable on a CoCo, drives on the
controller side of the twist will behave normally.
I haven't tried it, but I assume that a drive jumpered
as Drive 2 would respond to commands for Drive 0 at
the CoCo.