[Coco] Hard drive trouble

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 01:17:34 EDT 2008

 Bob,

  I'm going to do some more extensive testing to try and get some logical
data on the results that may lead to an informed decision as to what the
problem may be.
  As of now, I've just been trying things without much logic involved. This
has to stop as it's resulting in frustration.

 So I'm going to re-arrange the physical layout of this computer so I can
more easily try different things, without having to move the monitor, the
hard disks, and all that stuff.
 This computer is a re-pack in a VERY difficult cabinet. I don't remember
what it was, Dell, Compac, or some other danged fool configuration.
 So let's take a break on this until I can get some real data to work with.
 Everything I've done so far hasn't made any sense.
 I need to find the original floppy that the SCSISYS is stored on, or where
it is on the hard drive. I'm thinking it may have come with it's own
descriptors which I may have mixed up with other descriptors. I don't know.
 Worse case, I can finish backing up the existing hard disk to this PC and
to the coco.

 This is my MAIN coco and everything coco related is centered around this
machine. My CNC coco would be difficult to work without this machine. My
internet ventures would not work without this machine. The joy of running
this machine from this PC wouldn't be possible without this coco.
 So what this means is...... I won't get discouraged and throw it out in the
driveway and drive over it with my truck.
 It's gonna work correctly!

Meanwhile, go ahead and let me have this....

>>>I notice you're using SCSISYS. That driver should have a program with it
>>>to create the descriptors for you. (DescGen???) I have a disk image of
>>>the SCSISYS disk here somewhere, if you need it.
>>> For this to work, the driver *MUST* be called SCSISYS

PLEASE, don't send a DSK file. It takes me hours to glean the files out of
those things.
Just Zip em up(not preferred) or send them as individual attachments. All
coco stuff is so small, it is not much to attach a file to an email.
I can save an attachment to the drive on this PC and directly transfer it to
my coco via Hyperterminal.
 I don't use a com program on the coco, I do this....

 Shell i=/t2&

 Then Hyperterminal becomes just an extension of OS-9
I have utilities to upload and download files, control my coco from
hyperterminal as if I were at the coco's keyboard(except for graphics).

Check this out....

It's 11:05 Pm

OS9[t3]:dir /h0

 Directory of /h0  23:06:09
BBS             CMDS            DEFS            HTML
LANG            LIB             LOG             SYS
TODAY           TOYS            sources         startup
last_boot       makecmds        TRYING          BACKUPS
LOTTO           CNC             h0              h1

OS9[t3]:

 It's still 11:05 Pm

I LOVE IT!

Okay, the clock on the coco is off a little.

I'm having fun with this(as you can tell)

This problem with my hard drive isn't really a problem, it's an adventure
and a challenge.... an opportunity to learn something.

George