[Coco] resurrecting 5" disks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 14 00:32:07 EDT 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007, Bob Devries wrote:
>In the process of trying to make images of my Colour Computer disks, I have
>found quite a few which howl when put into a disk drive. Even some disks
>which have been carefully stored, seem to have accumulated a deposit on the
>surface of the magnetic media.

Howl?  Mmmm, I've heard them swish loudly, but howl?  The first thing I'd do
is check the belt if the drive is a belt drive, it could possibly make a sort
of a howl if it was slipping.  So a fresh belt might be in order.  Cleaning
it probably won't help the slippage even if it did shut the howl up.  If the
drive isn't a belt drive model, I might be tempted to see if I could get half
a drop of oil into the bearing of the clamping rosette.

>I know there are others who are trying to do this; what method has been used
>to clean up and read those disks, and what success rate has been achieved?
>
>I have carefully wiped the disk surface with a moist soft cloth, and allowed
>the disk to dry before trying to read it again, with some degree of success.

Water makes the disk coating very very abrasive Bob, so it should have days in
a hot, dry environment after that because there will be water trapped inside
the sleeve.  Freeze dried in a vacuum chamber would be best, but who has one
of those handy?  I sure don't, although I could cobble up the vacuum pretty
easy.