[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO & Linux in General

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri May 4 10:28:09 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 12:43:58PM +1000, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Why do I use Windows? Because it's a 'set and forget' OS.

This part seems at odds w/ the next part.

> If you have a
> fixed number of applications you use, then once they're installed you can
> pretty much forget about having to do any maintenance. Yes, windows will
> get slower each day. Yes, you will accumulate viruses, adware and other
> annoying crap. Yes, you will lose files in long-forgotten directories
> buried 18 folders deep in some dark corner of your hard-disk ... yes you
> may need to re-install one day - but probably not until you need to
> upgrade your system anyway...

So you are OK w/ letting your windows box rot into uselessness in
hopes that you will buy a new one before the old one dies completely?
And that passes for "it just works"?

> Red Hat (before they joined the dark side)

I'll let this one slide, since you obviously don't know about Fedora,
CentOS, etc...

> But Linux _is_ work. And my poor brain tends to file things I don't use
> daily in the section that is due to be destroyed with my next alcoholic
> drink. Granted, if I used it daily it would probably ultimately become
> less of a chore than using Windows, but that's not practical for me right
> now. I live it hope that it may one day be the case!

So, Linux is "work", because you can't remember where to find your
browser icons?  But you can find them alright on Windows?  That is
pathetic.

And FWIW, if you leave your Linux box unmaintained the way you claim
you leave your windows box, you will likely find it remains usable
for a lot longer than the windows box.

Again, you set a double standard for Linux.  You don't use it
regularly, but you expect it to just magically be familiar.  You run it
on your 800 MHz throw-away laptop, but run Vista (guessing) on a brand
new box.  You don't maintain your Vista box, but feel enslaved to
maintenance on your Linux box.  You apparently can't find the browser
icons on the KDE desktop, but they are somehow plainly obvious to
you on Vista.

Look, if you just want to use Vista then that is fine with me.
Just don't "down" Linux as an excuse.  At least complain about the
things that are real problems.

John
--
John W. Linville