[Coco] RBF File System Questions

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 14:05:50 EDT 2007

Hi all.  Are there any RBF file system experts on this list who can help me?
In particular, I need to know more about how file descriptors are allocated.
I read the chapter from the OS 9 Programmer's Manual, but it doesn't go into
enough detail.

The Programmer's Manual says that the first sector of every file is a file
descriptor. It also says that when a file is first created, it has no
segments allocated. This seems to imply that the file descriptor is not
contained in one of the file's segments.  Are the descriptors just allocated
as independent sectors that are not contained in any file, including a
directory file?

Also, when the cluster size of a volume is more than one sector, is the size
of a file descriptor still a single sector or is it the same as the cluster
size? If it's still just a single sector, is the extra space in the cluster
wasted, or is the file system able to allocate multiple file descriptors in
a single cluster?

Darren