[Coco] MPI problem or ...???

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jun 22 13:43:59 EDT 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>>On Thursday 21 June 2007, Brian Blake wrote:
>> >Thanks guys, keep the good info coming!!!!
>>
>>A couple more things to check Brian since these things are nearly old
>> enough to vote.
>
>Maybe yours... but I got mine as soon as they came out in '87, so mine's
>been voting for a couple of years now, and damn near old enough to get
>served Tequila in a bar with me! ;-)

Well, in my defense, far enough back up the log to becoming a voter, that age
was 21.  Yeah, I know, that makes me a genuine old fart...

>>1. clean up all the blackened coating on the card edge connector that plugs
>>into the coco.  Get brutal, as in a small piece of 0000 steel wool and some
>>contact cleaner & make it shine on both top and bottoom...
>
>[snip]
>
>Or pick up some DeOxit... (the red stuff). If the contacts are really
>dirty, the 100% solution in a squeeze tube would prolly be best:

DeOxit is not that widely sold as some channels are a bit cherry of having a
product with methyl chloride in it on the shelves.  But I agree, its
generally good stuff.  There is also another outfit touting a spray for gold
plated contacts, but that stuff (and I've carefully forgotten the exact brand
name now) is a time bomb with about a 6 month fuse.

>http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2331/.f?sc=2&category=188
>
> From the company called Caig Labs: http://www.caig.com/
>
>They also make 5% solution sprays, pens, wipes, plus they have the best
>potentiometer cleaner I've ever used (beats the heck out of rubbing alcohol
>(cheap, kinda works) and RS Tuner cleaner (not cheap, but still crappy) :-)
>
>I bought an HP 0-40v variable bench power supply (0-1.5A) and it was
>*impossible* to get, let alone hold, the right voltage. Tore it apart, one
>squirt of DeOxit FaderLube (it was called MCL), 5 end-to-end turns of the
>pot, and now there's no (and I mean *no*) "static" whilst adjusting the
>voltage on the pot - it's *dead on.*
>
>Yippee!
>
>>2.  If that mpi has not had the usual jumpering of all the card socket pin
>>8's
>>together, there is a probable problem there because the slot selection
>> switch has become oxidized and needs to be given a shot of cleaner and
>> exercised. Lots of exercise, then a couple more shots of contact cleaner.
>
>DeOxit's great for this, too. I gave my can to my dad for all the
>contacts/switches in his semi truck ("transport" for the Brits ;-) as they
>constantly have bad contacts due to the vibration & generally poor
>operating conditions truckers have to deal with, and now he won't give it
>back. ;-)

What did you expect?  :) Its a bit like an emergency lifesaver when you need
it.

>>Gene, a C.E.T.
>
>Roger, a H.U.G.
>   (Hardware Uneducated Geek... The best I could come up with on a sunny
>Friday afternoon. ;-)

Chuckle.  The C.E.T.=Certified Electronics Technician, whose certificate is
now 35 years old.  And unforch, I'd guess the test has progressed along with
the technology, so I doubt if I could do that test as well today as I did in
72, without cracking a book to cram.  When you use it everyday for a living,
that is plenty of 'cramming' for the test.  Now that I'm almost retired, the
rest of the world is moving at a slightly faster pace than I, and that's ok
by me.

If I ever get sent back to the yuppee, I might stop by and bum a cuppa, or
even buy it if the pots empty.  Now there is an offer for you. :)