[Coco] Using Velcro to secure CoCo and MPI

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Sat Jul 21 08:03:01 EDT 2007

At 04:33 PM 7/20/2007 -0700, Jim Cox wrote:
>Has anyone out there used Velcro to secure a MPI to a CoCo
>to prevent them from separating when power is on?
>If so, do you have any pointers as to where are the best
>places to apply the Velcro?

I haven't used Velcro for CoCo goods, but have used it for other equipment,
particularly for live concert recording. Equipment has gotten small and
light. My flashcard recorder is only a few ounces, but I use its TRS-style
connectors with phantom powering, external USB connector, headphones, and
line output. The connectors in total weigh more than the recorder! Things
falling and being dragged happens when they're so light.

So the recorder, backup preamp, mixer, and laptop all have Velcro patches
on both sides of the highest stress points. I really need 100% physical
reliability in a concert situation (only one chance), and having a
Velcroed-together rig is good.

The flashcard recorder has an additional strip on the back that mates to
one on the tallest mic stand (18 foot converted Bogen light stand) as does
my Javoedge USB backup battery power pack, just in case I have to do a
battery-only recording and still get high quality results with my Jecklin
disk mic arrangement. The unit records at 24bit/96KHz and can get a whole
concert on a 2GB flash card; I carry 6GB worth of flashcards to a gig.

The adhesive on the back of the Velcro patches is pretty stable, and so
long as the surface is clean, they will adhere for the long term. They also
damage silver finishes if you have to take them off quickly ... though the
heat-with-hair-dryer trick and a little patience gets them removed safely.

Dennis