[Coco] Reglazed CoCo 1

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Jan 31 23:37:14 EST 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I just refinished a nice gray-cased CoCo 1 with the same gray then an
> overcoat of super gloss, and I plan on posting some high-res digital
> pics in the CoCo Gallery when I get it back together tonight.  The
> total cost of items was maybe $5.
>
> www.coco3.com/gallery
>
> For those who want to reglaze a CoCo 1, remember not to not use too
> much spray paint (I think I might have).  Do it in thin layers, let
> it dry, buff it in circles with an old sock (the inner side) instead
> of fine sandpaper, and do this for 2 or 3 thin layers of gray but
> don't buff the last layer, and it will have a semi-gloss already
> before you even put the mirror-like finish on it.
>
> You'll need:
> masking tape, exacto knife for trimming excess tape from around
> covered labels, etc., a 96-cent can of gray spray paint from Walmart
> :), and a spray can of extra thick super-gloss clear coat paint which
> was about $2.70.

I've been thinking about trying to spiff up my old CoCo 1's case.  In
addition to repainting, I'll have to fill some holes.  (I used to have
an FDC mounted inside the case, and a half-height drive screwed to the
top.  The controller was a good idea.  The drive wasn't.)  Thanks for
sharing your experience.
> I'd like to replace the chiclet keyboard with a CoCo 3 keyboard, but
> I'll probably have to make the fitting since my CoCo 1 uses a real
> pin header connection and not the mylar ribbon.
I've done that.  Here's how I did it.  It's a bit ugly, but completely
reversible and works well.  Cost about $0.
http://www.coco3.com/gallery/v/User+Albums/JOELAV_DELPHI_COM/CoCo_Keyboard.jpg.html
>   After that I'd like
> to look into a solution for converting the 3-component video upgrade
> coming out of back into VGA so I can sit my gray KDS flat panel
> monitor on top.  That will be a sight to see when it's running.

That would be nice.  I found a 5" NTSC LCD on the surplus market that
had originally been for a Nintendo Gamecube (I think).  It works pretty
well with the composite video on the CoCo 3, though when the screen is
mostly white the picture has weird problems.  May be related to the
power supply I've been using with it.  I found some info that suggested
I just might be able to bypass the composite video circuitry and inject
an RGB signal, which would be vastly preferable.  If I can get it to work.

JCE