[Coco] [Color Computer] Older site.

Dan Olson dano at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jan 24 22:17:46 EST 2007

> Well, the 1000 apparently *has* to load Kickstart off floppy... But it
> may be possible to add the proper driver to the Kickstart image.  Even
> if you can't, as long as there's an AmigaDOS 1.3 driver...

I'm not too familar with the inner workings of the 1000, I do have an
external SCSI controller for it (the same as used with the 500) and I
guess I assumed that the ROM had enough smarts to look for a hard drive
before booting off of floppy.... I mean, it's an old computer, but not
that old.

> And even if you can't boot of the hard drive, it can still be useful
> to have.

Well, I suppose, though if I've got to cycle through two floppies to get
the thing booted, I'll just run it off of floppy drives, I've had 3 drives
hooked up at once which gives quite a bit of storage.  With Workbench 1.3
you're not going to be running the latest programs anyway.

>  Fer sure, most hard drive equipped CoCos can't boot off the
> hard drive.

Really?  But the CoCo has it's DOS in ROM, the hard drive controller
doesn't have boot code??  I just assumed it did, but don't even have a
floppy drive for mine so what do I know.

 	Dan