[Coco] Fwd: Disto 4-in-1 card manual

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 13:47:31 EST 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 10:58, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Gene,
>
>I can tell that you didn't read the manual. There were MANY features
>that were not implemented. It did work but not like documented. Many
>features not completed.

Chuckle, Tony *never* made anything that worked exactly as the very
limited docs claimed, and you couldn't buy even with an NDA, accurate
schematics, I tried.  But in scsisys-2.2, the basic LSN addressed read &
write worked for single devices only, so what more did the coco need?
Even for scsisys-1.0, the freebie version, that all worked but at about
2/3 speed, ISTR 18 secs for a megaread.

>Mark
>
>Quoting Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>> On Friday 19 January 2007 05:49, Mark Marlette wrote:
>>> There are many issues with the 4n1's SCSI port. Electrically it
>>> doesn't even follow the SCSI spec. SCSIsys was never finished and was
>>> wounded in many aspects. I wouldn't waste my time on either.

Name something important to the coco that was broken other than the
cabling, you have my curiosity piqued.

>> I used the registered scsisys for many years and it never made a
>> mistake, not once. And, it was just as fast at a megaread as the
>> ramdisks were. 11 seconds.
>>
>>> Get the TC^3 with SuperDriver, jump 15 years forward in technology.
>>> Have it work right out of the box. But then again I'm partial to it.
>>>
>>> :)
>> :
>> :-)
I do have to give it credit, it does feel faster than the old 4n1.  Boot
times for that bootfile are about half of what the 4n1 was.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)