[Coco] hybrid CoCo-CP/M disk

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 16 02:32:17 EST 2007

>Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:15:51 -0500
>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>

>After it was pointed out to me that "group" referred to the CP/M disk
>structure, I looked up info on CP/M on the Web. There seems to be as
>many different disk structures as there were computers that used them;

Pretty much.  The worst part is that they're not self-describing.  You
have to know which disk is which format.  Everybody else learned from
CP/M's mistake.  Newer formats, like OS-9's RBF and MS-DOS FAT have an
id block that describes the disk's characteristics.

Having two or three different CP/M machines will certainly teach one
to religiously use disk labels. :-)

>10 formats listed just for TRS machines. Which format are you working
>with?

Montezume Micro CP/M 2.2 version 1.42.  Single side, double density 5.25".

>At least one Coco software package uses the entire track 17. RGB-DOS
>used the last sector of T17 for a disk label. I think some software may
>have stored a copy of the FAT or perhaps the entire directory in the
>latter half of T17.

Well, as I said earlier, my coco "partition" starts at track 17 and
goes to track 34.  That was a typo at the start of the thread.

(Why not use the FIRST sector of T17 for a disk label?  That's what
I've always wondered.)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA