[Coco] Rainbow IDE

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Thu Jan 11 21:09:30 EST 2007

Just some news,

I plan to add more building options to Rainbow such as direct
cassette audio output.  What's this?   Imagine building a 4k machine
language game, or ASCII BASIC program, and upon the click of the Go
button you get a successful build and a prompt that says, "Type
CLOADM on your CoCo then click OK here", or something similar, and
away goes your program right into the CoCo ready to run.

Most Rainbow users I know of make heavy use of the M.E.S.S. emulator
launch feature which shows your program run right away if it's
test-built as a ROM image, then later can be converted into a
LOADMable binary quite easily, but for the ultimate test on some
critical programs, you might want to port it into a CoCo using some
means of serial communication.  That's why I am coming up with
several ways to do this and I'll also provide the cables for hooking
your CoCo to your PC.

One cable I have sold and will be making more soon is the PC Link
serial cable that currently works with standard terminal programs
between the CoCo and PC.  I'll be adding probably the Xmodem-CRC
protocol to Rainbow so that your programs can be directly sent upon
building, to your CoCo using Ultimaterm or some other terminal program.

If you'd like to use the cassette audio method, you can try that as
well.  One of the reasons this is not a lost cause (since the PC Link
cable is good enough), is that I am also testing several MP3 devices
like the iPod and the cheap ($49) RCA Voice Recoder device (small MP3
recorder/player) to see if they work well with doing CoCo cassette
file I/O.  Ofcourse, without motor control, things won't be exactly
as nice, but it's still possible to do away with cassette tapes and
go digital if you want to preserve cassette programs or even have a
huge archive of CoCo cassette games and programs on a digital device.

My goal is to make the Rainbow IDE support these digital audio
devices to help give more ways of dealing with the various CoCo file
formats that are now being emulated, and even written on a PC and
stored in such formats as MP3.  That's right, click Go! in the IDE
and end up with an MP3 of your program that can be CLOADMed into any CoCo.

Does all of this sound "a little too late"?  Maybe to some, but if an
IDE offers so many portation features, limits are removed and the
possibilities are expanded tremendously.  By connecting your CoCo to
your PC using a serial cable or custom cassette audio cable (which I
am working on now), you can do some serious playing around, or
actually serious developing.

I hope that the Rainbow IDE will end up being one of the best CoCo
preservation tools available in our ever-changing world of new
digital devices.  Tapes are rotting.  Disks are rotting.  There
really is no hope to stick with these forms of media forever, so I
think it's time to support the digital audio devices as another storage option.

What's the advantage?  You can put a CoCo in 2mhz mode and CSAVEM a
program at double the speed, and CLOADM them back just the same with
no errors.  Use a good quality bitrate and you should be ok.  I did
this with a MiniDisc recorder for years.  A 74-minute MiniDisc held a
LOT of cassette programs.  It's not the memory size - it's the TIME
that will fit on the media that counts.  So, a 32mb MP3 device that
has a capacity of 13 hours of storage at the lowest compression
format can hold probably all the cassette programs you can round
up.  One such MP3 device I am testing now has built-in memory, so the
small box is self-contained and has the audio in/out jacks for
hooking to a CoCo.  Cool!

If you have any other ideas for the Rainbow IDE that you think might
benefit the CoCo community, please let me know.

--
Roger Taylor