[Coco] [color computer] Stripping linefeeds

James Cherry wazloriancoco at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 16:20:44 EST 2007

Excuse the fact I am going fast but I found LF for you...

Its in a DRAGON 32 base though.... Check Below and click.

OS9 is an operating system based around Unix specifically targetted for
MC6809 based processors, hence it is written in assembler rather than C.
Many of the Unix components are there including multi-tasking ability.
It was developed during the late 70s/early 80s by Microware Corp
<http://www.microware.com/>  who still develop it today, although now it
is targetted for a range of processors including the 68xxx series. There
are two OS9 variants for the 6809, Level 1 which is available for the
Dragon supports up to 64K of RAM and Level 2 which is available on the
CoCo 3 supports up to 16MB of RAM by using special paging hardware to
switch in 64K blocks of memory at a time. OS9 Level 3 also exists but
not for the 6809. There is still a fair deal of support around for OS9,
particularly for Level 2 (from the Coco newsgroups eg. The BITNet CoCo
newsgroup <news:bit.listserv.coco>  and several dedicated OS9 groups -
comp.sys.os9 <news:comp.sys.os9> . All the material here is for OS9
Level 1, and will probably run under Level 2 as well.
To run OS9 on a Dragon, you need a machine with 64K RAM ie. a D64 or an
upgraded D32. You also need a disk system. OS9 puts the machine into 64K
RAM mode, switching out the BASIC & DOS ROMS giving you a completely new
operating environment. It is also a very flexible environment and very
easy integrate new drivers and software to support any hardware add-ons
you may have made (see the sections on PC-Share
<http://www.onastick.clara.net/pcshare1.htm>  and adding a RAM Disk
<http://www.onastick.clara.net/rdisk.htm>  to your system.)
OS9 Level 1 - Year 2K <http://www.onastick.clara.net/y2k.htm>
Up2Date Articles - Writing software for OS9 (incl. device drivers)
<http://www.onastick.clara.net/os9sw.htm>
Dragon Disk Driver Assembler listing
<http://www.onastick.clara.net/ddisk.txt>    Software Archive
Like the DragonDOS software archive
<http://www.onastick.clara.net/dragonsw.htm>  most of the programs here
are small utilities, filters or drivers for use with OS9 Level 1 and
above. Source files are held as ASCII, whilst binary files are standard
OS9 modules (more than 1 module may be held in a file, use utilities
such as RIP to split them apart or load the file into memory then use
the SAVE utility to save each module as a file). Any compressed files
are held as archive (.ar) files - the decompressor is available amonst
other places from the BITNet listserver
<mailto:listserv at pucc.princeton.edu>  - sending a mail with the words
'INDEX OS9' in the mail body to get a full list of the software
available.

LF.BIN <http://www.onastick.clara.net/lf.bin>  - Filter to remove line
feeds from stdin. Uses 256 byte buffered blocks so should be
substantially faster than other single character buffer filters.
  ADDLF.BIN <http://www.onastick.clara.net/addlf.bin>  - Filter to add
line feeds to stdin. Again, usses larger buffered blocks instead of the
usual single character filters so is substantially faster.
  SECTION.BIN <http://www.onastick.clara.net/section.bin>  - Filter to
display a given section of a text file. Usage: section start_line
end_line < text_file eg.  section 200 400 <doc1.txt  - display lines 200
to 400 of doc1.txt
Diary Program <http://www.onastick.clara.net/diary.htm>  - events
reminder (for OS9 and MS-DOS!)

  MS-DOS Disk Reader/Writer <http://www.onastick.clara.net/pcread.htm>  -
read and write MS-DOS disks under OS9
  ANAGRAM.BIN <http://www.onastick.clara.net/anagram.bin>  - anagram
solver. Used in conjunction with a spell checker eg. SPELLDCM under
Stylograph will provide words containing the supplied letters. Example
Usage: spelldcm /h0/sty/dict ! anagram AYDUJDF > solutions
PIA21.A <http://www.onastick.clara.net/pia21.a>  - sample SCF device
driver for MC6821 PIA.

  RDISK.A <http://www.onastick.clara.net/rdisk.a>  - sample RBF device
driver (see Ram Disk Project <http://www.onastick.clara.net/rdisk.htm> )

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "L. Curtis Boyle"
<curtisboyle at ...> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:38:51 -0600, George's Coco Address
> yahoo at ... wrote:
>
> > Isn't there an OS9 utility to strip line feeds from text files?
> >
> > George
>
> I remember one called LF... can't remember where it was from, though.
It