[Coco] Free OS-9 Documentation!!!

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Feb 24 23:00:26 EST 2007

Adobe 8 reports that a downloaded font doesn't load. Apparently something in the file itself is messed up. Unfortunately, since even PM won't load it, it's gone. I checked my CD -- same thing. PM doesn't even try to load a font.

You know, I'm not so sure now that I even completed that project. Sounds like it was toward the end of my CoCo days. Dennis, you just need to delete those two from the FTP site.

What I can say is that the magazines on the site have most of Ricks columns. The oldest one on there right now has the first of the series.

Rick was very good at explaining in layman's terms how OS-9 worked, and how to make it work. He was likely so good at that because he had nothing more than a high school education as I recall. He taught himself computer programming (BASIC, C, and some 6809 assembler), OS-9, and electronics in general. He was pretty darned good at all of it too! I do recall him lamenting once that lack of paperwork kept him from getting a couple jobs where he knew more than the people working at the places! One even suggested he put in for a job, then couldn't get him on because higher ups insisted on at least a two year degree. It's a shame when many of us have knowledge that we could put to use but don't even get the opportunity to prove it because of the lack of paper! We shared a booth and room at least three times at Chicago fests. He always brought his soldering equipment and was repairing CoCos and installing sockets for 6309s and such. He had some good hardware projects, but never coul
 d prop
erly fund getting them out to people. Rent has to come first! Wish I'd have been in more a position to get some of them out!

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:45:04 -0500
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <bathory at maltedmedia.com>

At 06:38 PM 2/24/2007 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>What you may be running into is that the document contains some PDL-3.0
>functions (Postscript Description Language) extensions, and I guarantee
>your old version won't deal with it, and neither did xpdf until about 6
>months ago.  Now it all Just Works(TM), and its a free download, so why
>not update?

It's Adobe. Same reason you're running Linux, I'd guess. They managed to
ruin my favorite audio editor, and have pretty much wrecked what they
touched. When they took over Pagemaker, they ran two more versions and then
killed it. Where alternatives to Adobe are available, I always use them. To
my thinking, Microsoft is benign by comparison.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"