[Coco] [Color Computer] What happend to http://www.nitros9.org/

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Feb 22 15:46:38 EST 2007

Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>On Thursday 22 February 2007, Jim Hickle wrote:
> >
> >My favorite is still being instructed to make sure the power cable is
> > firmly plugged into the wall because the computer "might be getting bad
> > current".

One of my favorites is when a lady picked up her computer from our shop,
and called frantically that we gave her the wrong machine. It was an
elcheapo Dell, so it's not like we had 4 more of 'em in for repair.

She brought the computer back, we hooked it up, booted it, and this is the
conversation that follows:

Me: Ma'am, this is your name on the login screen, right? It's your computer.
Her: No it's not, it's totally different. How did those other people get my
name on their computer???

[[ I log in. ]]
Me: Ma'am, do the icons look just like they do on your machine?
Her: Yea... How the heck did those other people get my icons on their machine?

[[ I open her email ]]
Me: Ma'am, this is your email address, right? And these emails are from
your friends and family?
Her: Oh My Gosh! This is horrible! I'm calling the authorities! How did
those people get my email on their computer???

Me: Ma'am, this *is* your computer.
Her: !No It's Not!!! See, that computer had the drive thingies on the
bottom and mine were on the top... and the top of my computer was smooth,
but there were bumps on the top of the other one. It's Not My Computer.

[[ I push the eject buttons on the CD & DVD drives ]]
Me: You mean these drives?
Her: Yea, how'd they get back on the top again???

[[ I pick up the computer and point the bottom at her ]]
Me: Are these the bumps you spoke about that were on the top?
Her: Yea... um.... uh....

Me: Ma'am, this *is* your computer. You put the computer in the cubby
upside down.
Her: No... I... uh... Well... Uh... Well, you guys should've told me how to
hook it up again. [She then takes her computer & storms out of the store,
because it was our fault she had to bring the computer back.]

That made the "broken drink holder" guys look positively cerebral...

;-O

> >  We didn't have bad current or even bad currants.
>
>Currants, isn't that some sort of a berry they make jelly from? :)

Nah, flavored looseleaf tea.

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.asp?itemID=TF21

Very tasty, tho I still prefer the Cherry (as cherries are my favorite
fruit) and the Raspberry is a great pickmeup with a shot of Chambord... ;-)

If anyone likes _good_ tea, check out this place. I have no affiliation
other than being a *very* satisfied customer; tho when you call you might
still have to deal with some thick accents.

I called up to place an order, and I could barely understand the individual
on the other end of the line... until I realized that she spoke with
something so far beyond what we lame Americans call an "English Accent"
that it took "more than an couple heartbeats" to get my ear attuned to her
accent. She was super-courteous, and as helpful as she could be. I had the
website up (and a very fast net connect) so I found all the order numbers
for her, and overall it was a very pleasant experience.

I later emailed the support email address, and got a very human response
from the support manager herself, so the company has always been fantastic
WRT customer support.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

PS... Apologies for adding to the S/N ratio; I guess I'm [un]usually chatty
today... ;-)

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein