[Coco] Using a NTSC Coco in the UK - my findings

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 08:11:05 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Torsten Dittel" <Torsten at Dittel.info>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Using a NTSC Coco in the UK - my findings

> Was this the same for both the US made and Korea made versions? I have
> both and the (newer, with GIME '87 instead of '86 and with a slightly
> bigger TANDY logo) US version has better haptics (oops... who knows if
> this word exists. I mean kind of "surface feel").

I'm not sure about the later US made ones, but it was certainly a problem
with the first few batches that made it to aussie's sun-blest shores. Maybe
by the time the US-made coco3 made it here, they'd either been fitted with
the clip, or had some other mechanism to stop the problem. I do remember
some of the coco3's here had some soft sticky paste under the GIME. Maybe
that was in the later versions, in an effort to stop the GIME from jumping
out of its socket.

I had one which had a broken pin on the GIME, and by the time it became a
problem, it was out of warranty (of course). I managed to splice a pin into
the broken pin's spot, and curved it to look like the others. It worked
fine, and hey, maybe it still is?

> Regards,
> Torsten

the capacity to be his spokesman,