[Coco] [Color Computer] [coco] Coco CNC

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 02:34:03 EST 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 01:10, David Roper wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>I don't have a clue what you're talking about, but it was an interesting
>read, none-the-less!

So let me explain some of the acronyms.

>Kind regards,
>David
>
>George's Coco Address wrote:
>> Okay!
>>
>>  I've been working on my Coco powered "Tiny CNC" machine this weekend.

CNC=Computer Numeric Controlled.  Every part you make is identical to the
last one if the tooling doesn't break or wear.  A text file tells the
computer where to run the motors to.  Just re-run the program for the
next identical part.

>>  Whew!
>>
>>  What a task! I discovered that the axis designations were all messed
>> up.
>>
>>  (You learn a LOT when working in a machine shop)
>>
>>  All three were wrong. X, Y and Z were wrong. So I renamed them and in
>> the process, I lost the driver(B09 driver) for the REAL Y axis.

X is normally the left to right motion of the table the piece to be carved
on is attached to.

Y is normally the to/from, or across the width of the moving table motion.

Z is normally the up/down motion of the carving spindle, so that one can
do 3d carving.  On bigger machines, the spindle is rigid in the castings
and the same effective motion is done by raising or lowering the table
itself, called the knee.

>>  No problem, I thought. Just rename the X or Z axis driver. Well, it
>> didn't work. After two days, I discover several problem with my
>> hardware that proved that the port for the Y axis was wired
>> incorrectly, the cable that connected it was also wired incorectly and
>> the software to correct this error is now lost.
>>
>>  No matter about the software. I repaired my mistakes with the
>> hardware and now the software to drive the servos works correctly. I
>> can swap the cables to each of the servos and it works correctly.
>>
>>  Since I've been working at a machine shop, I was forced to buy some
>> precision instruments such as a dial caliper. My old vernier caliper
>> was not acceptable at work.
>>
>>  Hmm. I really can't see any accuracy difference except for the fact
>> that the dial is easier to read.
>>
>>  Anyway..... Math always works......
>>

>>  All three lead screws are 32 TPI. The three servos are 200 steps per
>> inch. Doing the math, this comes to 6400 steps per inch, or precision
>> to .00015625.
TPI=Threads Per Inch of the screw.

--
Cheers, Gene