[Coco] Coco "Flash2" cartridge progress

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 5 18:27:18 EST 2007

Mark Marlette wrote:

> We call those equations over here. :)

OK, so maybe I was taking a little poetic license with the word "magic", but
I was referring to the fact that I had to implement flash writes _without_
any signals others than A0 (not A1 after all), D7..0, RW# & SCS#... (of
course the CPLD generates the flash CE#, OE# signals).

> You will have to include a few more signals and generate some of your own
> to get the job done. Your learning, as did I. Fun stuff.

Of course I'm learning every day (as we all do in this job) but perhaps not
at the level you assume... I've been programming FPGAs for several years
now... ;) Unfortunately I know very little about the Coco, as I'm quickly
discovering... but that's the fun bit!

> Steve B. did the best job describing the CTS line awhile back and the
> difference of ROM/RAM devices and their output. Good words to follow.

Yes, that's when I discovered that CTS# is not driven on writes - *after* I
had received the PCBs back from manufacture!!! :(

However, looking at it again this morning, I've realised that I also have
access to A14, which makes things a bit easier and I can more-or-less
eliminate the "magic" I was planning... should be relatively
straight-forward now...

A little puzzle anyone - how do you think I was planning on doing it without
A14?

Regards,