[Coco] kibibyte

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Aug 16 00:20:54 EDT 2007

On  15  Aug 2007, at 4:42 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:

> I think a big part of the problem with getting people to use the
> prefixes, kibibyte, mibibyte and gibibyte is that they sound silly
> to say, and no one else in the industry uses the terms. Maybe if
> harddrive and flash memory vendors started using them it might start
> to catch on. Unless that happens the prefixes are a good idea destined
> to go the way of esperanto.
>
> My coco has runs off of a 256mibibyte CF card and is connected to a
> 1gibibyte jaz drive, a 120mibibyte ls-120 drive and at up to four
> 100megabyte disk images on my fileserver connected via drivewire!! :-)

The drive vendors will never change because they are the ones who
benefit from using 10^(3x) when most computer people are using 2^
(10x).  After all what they call a 1 Tbyte hard drive is around 7%
smaller than what 1 Tbyte of RAM would be.  What's more, they are the
only reason that there was any confusion which /needed/ to be
straightened out.