[Coco] kibibyte

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 08:15:12 EDT 2007

 "Kibibytes"  sounds like a brand of dog food.  Has anyone ever even heard of the  "International Electrotechnical Commission"?  Are they the same people who wanted us all to speak Esperanto back in the '60's ?

mike delyea <mdelyea at gmail.com> wrote: Has anybody actually used the word kibibyte?  As in "I'm upgrading my coco
to 512 kibibytes this weekend".  I never heard of the word until I was
reading about the Tandy 1000 on Wikipedia tonight.

kibi- (Ki-)
    a binary prefix meaning 2 to the 10th power = 1024. This prefix, adopted
by the International Electrotechnical Commission in 1998, was supposed to
replace kilo- for binary applications in computer science. Thus 1024