[Coco] Good full screen editor?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 7 05:12:05 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 06 August 2007, Paul Fitch wrote:
>>> Ok, I'm trying to use Mike Sweets ED 3.1, but I'm not feeling the love.
>>> Half the time the buffer gets full before my source gets loaded.  The
>>> other half, it loads, but the copy buffer doesn't work.
>>
>> TS-Edit, patched to become vi, has always worked well for me, and can be
>> launched with a #56k buffer on a coco3.
>
>I second that, though if you don't already know vi, you might find it a
>little mystifying.
>
>>> I'm really not wanting to learn how to use the standard edit.
>>>
>>> In the 10 years I've been away, no one has written a usable full screen
>>> editor?  Even basic uSoft NOTEPAD has more functionality than I've seen
>>> so far under OS9.  I'm sure that line editors were all the rage in 1979,
>>> but we know better now.  Anyone?
>>
>> VED by Bob Van Der Pohl, and XED both come to mind as being somewhat
>> better, Dynastar works well but handles large files at only 14k at a time
>> which is a PITA.
>
>I remarked on VED in a different reply, but I've never used XED.  Might
>be fun to try it.  I do remember using SLED, and finding it reasonably
>useful before I got VED.  IIRC, SLED can handle files larger than
>available memory.

It might, but I only used it twice, and twice large pieces of my work went
missing or were trashed.  Maybe it needed better docs and I wasn't running it
right, but twice bit was enough.  It was about that time that I bought
XED/XPRINT, which could do decent work if you could remember all the 'dot'
control codes you needed to put in to make XPRINT do its things.  But then
the vi patch came out and I never looked back. ISTR XED could handle files
larger than its buffer too, but don't quote me on that as I wasn't working on
War & Peace sized stuffs back then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)