[Coco] VCC emulator on laptop?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Aug 4 13:42:50 EDT 2007

At 08:40 AM 8/4/2007, you wrote:
>I have tried VCC, but not *YET* on my laptop.
>I think it has the potential to far outshine MESS or JV's.
>Heck, it already does, even with the couple of minor bugs.

This would be true for the reason that most people will choose
simplicity.  Will it run out of the box?  Yes, click the .exe and
you're looking at a CoCo in a window.  Does it insanely hog 75% of
your CPU resources?  Not at all.  Does it have a history of being
unstable/stable/unstable?  Not that I'm aware of.

To to author of VCC, I can give you a few ideas.  What about a drag
and drop .dsk feature.  Make VCC have an always-on-top window option,
and let us drag .dsk image files into the CoCo screen.  Or, clicking
on a .dsk file from Explorer will auto-mount it in VCC and
launch.  I'm a Windows developer and have experience with the API so
let me know what area you need help in, if you do.

The M.E.S.S. emulator is nice but appears to be in the hands of
people who are currently consuming alcoholic beverages while they are
coding.  A *group* of coders or a team wouldn't normally release a
crippled or buggy version when past versions worked fine.  They fix
something, then 2 more things break, and it's usually in the CoCo
emulation.  However, I don't disagree that they have done a great job
and I think eventually the emulator will shine much brighter.  I
mean, it can do it all right now, but if it hogs your 2ghz PC so bad
that you can't even move your mouse cursor, something is seriously wrong.

--
Roger Taylor