[Coco] creating NitrOS9 boot disk

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 04:46:04 EDT 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Bob Devries wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>
>Sheesh, I thought I knew how to do this......
>
>I've tried several ways to make a bootable dis under NitrOS9 V03.02.06, but
>have failed miserably.
>
>First off, I'm trying to create a Single sided, 35 track disk so that I can
>copy it to the DECB partition of the NitrOS9.vhd file. So I have set DMODE
>to DNS=01 CYL=0023 SID=01
>
>Then I have modified the standard.bl file in the NitrOS9 distribution, to
>select the descriptors I need (80 trk D0, D1, and D2, cloud9 clock), and
>then run the MB script.
>
>This all seems to work fine, and the disk looks good, and the idents are
>right.
>
>I insert the image into drive D0 and the NitrOS9.vhd into the HD slot, and
>type DOS. Here's what I get on the screen:
>
>KREL Boot Krn tb0.......
>
>and there it stops.
>
>The status line of VCC shows the tracks going up to trk 34, and then back to
>trk 00, sector 01, and that's it.
>
>It seems that the kernel track is being read, but none of the boot file. Can
>someone suggest some causes?
>
>I'm stumped.

Is the address and length of the bootfile properly recorded in LSN0?

During the bootup, the drivers aren't smart enough to understand the directory
structure, and cannot look the bootfile up in the root directory.  The offset
in LSN0 for this data is defined in the manuals.  IIRC, 3 bytes represent the
starting sector, and 2 bytes tell how much data to read starting at that
sector.  In the rbfdefs, DD.BT and DD.BSZ IIRC.