[Coco] Are there any CoCo BBS's out there?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Aug 2 18:23:54 EDT 2007

On Thursday 02 August 2007, Rod Barnhart wrote:
>On 8/2/07, Hex Star <hexstar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/2/07, Rod Barnhart <rod.barnhart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So then why not run the BBS over TCP/IP? TCP/IP would of course get rid of
>> the limitations serving connections over a phone line has (speed, limited
>> number of connections, no phone calls). I'd be very interested in
>> connecting to a BBS, I wasn't aware of them during the time when they were
>> around unfortunately and have yet to get to connect to one. Would
>> certainly be cool if someone set up a BBS server on a real CoCo :) ...and
>> even cooler if it was on a 800 number (kidding!)
>
>That's exactly what I was considering... TCP/IP (telnet), not the 800 number
> ;)
>
>Assuming the CoCo is fast enough to handle multiple users at the same
>time, which is a question that's still on the table, how many serial
>ports are possible at the same time on a CoCo, including the
>bitbanger? Can a modified DC modem (converted to RS-232) co-exist with
>a Tandy RS-232 pack?

If they are at different 4 byte wide address blocks in the limited i/o space
the coco's crappy decoding allows, yes.  I've not been allergic to moving
mine around, and have had a piggyback kit in my rs-232 pack that I use the
second port of for a serial mouse, so IIRC it takes the $FF68-FF6F address
space.  I never did try to make use of the 232 port in the 4n1 cuz its not
even wired up well enough to do the 7 wire protocol for flow control.  Tony
blew that one big time IMO.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)