[Coco] Linux Q -- SimplyMEPIS??

Merv Curley mervc at eol.ca
Mon Apr 30 16:45:01 EDT 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 01:11, farna at att.net wrote:
> Since we're on the subject of Linux, does anyone have any experience with
> SimplyMEPIS? Everything I've read points to it being the perfect distro to
> start with -- simply works right off the CD and has just about all the user
> software needed to work with,

I have used Simply Mepis in the past quite extensively.  It worked well but I
became disenchanted for some reason and no longer try the new releases. I do
believe it had something to do with their old versions of prog's. Simply
Mepis is now a Ubuntu derivetive I believe, so why not Ubuntu [ Kubuntu ].

All the current distros are quite good, many if not most will run in 'live'
mode so you can try them out on your hardware. I am happiest in a Debian
environment, and my preference for 'cutting edge' has me currently with the
distro credited below. I do have Fedora Core6 and SuSE 10.2 on my computers
and both are stable and have lots of support. Debian repositories probably
have the most up to date software.

Distro choice has become what we are comfortable with for administration and
is pretty personal.  Good luck finding what suits you.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can

Sidux 2007-1  Linux