[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Apr 30 01:07:30 EDT 2007

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 11:25:27AM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>

>>> You are aware that the full debian distro is about 28 cd's worth?
>>>

>> But the point is that you don't have to download the full distro just to
>> do a basic install.  In fact, if you want to install Debian, all you
>> need to download is 2 (maybe 3?) floppy images to boot the installer.
>>

> And, of course, if you prefer you can download a minimal boot iso
> image and install all of Fedora (or specifically the bits you want)
> over the Internet.  It weighs-in at about 8 MB (thats Mega):

Very nice.
> 	http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/images/boot.iso
>
> I have used this method many times myself, and find it quite
> satisfactory for installing a usable base system with other software
> added via yum on an as-needed basis.
>
> Once again, the Ubuntoids (and other Deb-heads) seem to think they
> have a monopoly on all that is cool or useful in the Linux world...
>
> John

As I've said before, I have nothing against Fedora.  I even have a
genuine bought and paid-for copy of RedHat 4.2 with a box, and a printed
manual, and everything.  But I have had some troubles with more recent
versions of Fedora, and I do like Ubuntu's approach to things.  And
Debian is the only Linux distro that will install on a 68K Mac (except
an old, unofficial version of RH 5.1)

Knowing that there's a minimal boot image for FC6 certainly makes trying
it again a more appealing prospect.

JCE