[Coco] Linux drive mounting

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Apr 25 09:47:18 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:20:36PM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
> Roger Taylor wrote:
> > Gene, I haven't gotten Samba working right yet.
> >
> > Do you think RH9 can mount a USB-connected external hard drive, say at
> > 25GB FAT32?
> >
> I've used USB/Compact Flash adaptors and USB flash memory sticks on
> RedHat 8.1, and 9.  I think it was a little more seamless in 9.  You may
> have to "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash" or some such as root.  I think that
> if you put an appropriate entry for it in /etc/fstab you can mount and
> unmount it pretty seamlessly in Nautilus.

Another reason to install a non-fossilized distro e.g. FC6.

	http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/iso/

Modern distros tend to auto-detect insertion of USB storage devices
(including memory media like MMC/SD, CF, etc) and automount the
directories for you.  In KDE or GNOME they tend to automatically open
a file manager window for you as well.

> > Btw, I downloaded the latest FireFox for Linux and it does not come up
> > at all when you click the executable (firefox.bin?) file.  So, I'm
> > using the stock Mozilla no-tabs version for playing around.
> >
> Ugh.  I ran into dependency hell when trying to install Firefox on
> RH8.1.  Going to put something more recent on that machine eventually.

Again, modern distros tend to have better means of installing software:

	yum install firefox

Much easier, no?

FWIW, RH9 is probably the single worst Red Hat release ever.
And if you are developing software for others to use, it probably
isn't too helpful to start with an OS that no one has run for years.
Users may well have to install compatibility libraries just to get
your software to work.  Honestly, you'd be much better off taking
the time for a reinstall.

John
--
John W. Linville