[Coco] email super sleuth

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Apr 24 22:39:44 EDT 2007

Kevin Diggs wrote:
> John,
>
>     I was wondering if you might take a look at this and tell what you
> can divine from it I replaced my email with noone to prevent harvesting?):

Hello Kevin,

I composed a reply to this last night, and it never showed up.  I
suspect that gmane misclassified it as spam.

I can send you a private reply if you send the e-mail to my
malmberg(at)encompasserve.org address.  Encompasserve.org does not use a
content filter for anything other than viruses.

gmane mungs all text that contains an at-sign, so I do have your real
e-mail address.  I could use the one that gmane generated, however I do
not know if a message discussing a spam header would end up in the same
black-hole of my previous post.

The fastest way to get an answer about parsing e-mail headers is to set
up a newsreader to the news.spamcop.net news server.  Both Mozilla and
Outlook Express allow you to access multiple news servers at a time.

Then post the headers and any other part of the spam sample in the
"spamcop.spam" newsgroup there, following it with a post in the
"spamcop" newsgroup referencing the title of the post containing the
spam sample.

There are several people on that forum that usually will give a detailed
explanation in a short time.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net