[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Tue Apr 24 13:33:38 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 04:09 AM 4/24/2007, you wrote:
>> Roger Taylor wrote:
>>> As some of you might know, I have never gotten any Red Hat Linux
>>> version I've owned connected to the web or to another computer.  In
>>> other words, the main feature of Linux (networking) has yet to work
>>> for me.
>>
>>> Can someone walk me through the steps they would take from scratch
>>> for making Red Had 9 ready to connect to a router and on the web?
>>
>> Why do you need to use RedHat 9? Can you upgrade to a Fedora Core? Or
>> better yet, IMNSHO, can you upgrade to Ubuntu? ;)
>
> Linux users are so possessive over their preferred brand, aren't they?
> :)

Yeah, I like what I use. I try to let others know there are [better]
alternatives out there. ;)

> Mention Red Hat in a room full of Fedora guys and you better cover
> your ears, or vice-versa... brag about Fedora around a gaggle of Red Hat
> experts and you'll need earplugs as well.  It's all the same operating
> system.

You're right. Fedora Core is RedHat with a different name made by the
same people with more up-to-date software packages. :)

> If they didn't work the same, you wouldn't have a million Linux
> servers on the web all performing the same operations.
>
> Regardless of the team name or version, I won't recompile or rebuild any
> part of the system just to get everyday features working.  Linux should
> not require programmers to operate it.  I *really* don't mind doing
> stuff like that, but I just don't have time if it's going to be a
> requirment for simple features such as using a dial-up modem, or
> connecting to an enormously popular network.  I can't see tens of
> thousands of people who use Linux having to go through recompiles of the
> core or any module, so I must assume that the features are already built
> in somewhere.

I was asking if you would upgrade your Red Hat distro to the most recent
version. I was only asking this because you might find it better /
easier to configure the network problem you're having now. Things have
changed a lot since RH9. To upgrade these days doesn't require you to
compile any, as far as I know, part of your system unless you want to.
All it probably requires is an install. Any Fedora user can correct me
if I'm wrong.

My dig at you *ahem* upgrading to Ubuntu was just to ruffle feathers
amongst others in the group. ;)

-M.