[Coco] CoCo 3 512k SRAM Upgrade (Renamed Thread)

coco at yourdvd.net coco at yourdvd.net
Mon Apr 23 00:50:34 EDT 2007

What I was able to determine this morning was the following. Hopefully
this is correct:
the two we signals allow a single byte write to either bank 0 or bank
one. The multi-byte read is accomplished by reading 8 bits on cas low
and then the other 8 bits on cas rise. (note that the service manual
didn't contain the info i hoped - i needed the tech ref manual but
couldn't google one).
The static RAM in use is a 256kx16 with individual access to the high
and low bytes.
So I assumed latching the addresses on the falling edges of the cas and
ras signals would sufficiently demultiplex the address bus. Assuming
that we0 and we1 are always high unless a write is occuring, ANDing
them should be sufficient to generate the WE* signal of the sram and
taking the inverse of that to the OE* should therefore allow the static
ram to enter write mode whenever either of the we* signals goes low,
otherwise it will be in read mode. when the gime is doing a write, the
we0 and we1 signals should be sufficient for the LB* and HB* signals of
the static ram, however, they can't be used for this purpose during a
read, so i thought cas and it's inverse could provide the lb* and hb*
select to the static ram during a read. But i was tired and some of
this info may be flawed. From looking, I didn't see the e clock
available on the memory headers, only two banks of d0-d7, the z-bus,
we0*, we1*, cas, and ras. I assumed the gime might work something like
the sam/vdg (as you said, cpu has the bus on e high and video on e
low). after just the research i did this morning, i would no longer
consider trying to use a 512kx8 sram for this purpose unless i were
going to make a battery backed 2meg board.