[Coco] yahoo groups

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sat Apr 21 14:55:29 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> This is off-topic, but it needs to be said.
>
> Anyone who is dependent on yahoo groups needs to resign from the coco list
> there and take your coco related email from maltedmedia.
>
> I added about 5 of their server boxes to the list in procmail that goes
> to /dev/null and cut my spam intake by at least 75%.
>
> But that cost me that mailing list, along with a couple others.  So I nuked
> them back out of my recipes, but its not going to last long at the present
> level of spam being served from their servers if the X-Originating-IP: header
> can be believed.
>
> If anyone knows how to get yahoo's attention, and actually get their tech
> support (now there is an oxymoron for you) to admit they are serving it up in
> record numbers, because the traffic here, and the net surveys published all
> confirm their supremacy, I'd like to hear about it.
>
> If not, I will slowly extract their addresses out of the incoming trash and
> add them back to my procmail recipes.  So if messages to me via the yahoo
> groups list seem to be going into a black hole, now you will know how to
> contact me again.  On Dennis's list which I'd like to thank him for.

Gene,

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but Yahoo may not be the
real culprit here.

I'm not sure if you have access to your MTA's log, but it would be
interesting to see if the spams are *really* originating from a Yahoo
server, or if they are being spoofed.

Obviously a great deal of people use Yahoo mail/groups, so in order to
catch more user whitelists, a spammer could very easily forge some
X-origination headers and ensure their cruft makes it past more spam
filters.

In a way it's not much different when they decide to send out hundreds
of thousands of spams with your email address as the sender. Just about
any header can be spoofed.

The actual connection's IP address would really tell a better story. See
what the logs say.

-Mike